- Neufeld, G. and Maté, G. (2013). Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers. New York: Ballantine Books.
- Coleman, J. S. (1961). The adolescent society. New York, NY: Free Press.
- Resnick, M. D. (1997). Protecting adolescents from harm. Findings from the National Longitudinal Study on Adolescent Health. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, 278(10), 823-832. (Whether or not safe family attachment is an option, adult relationship is key to people well-being.)
The problems coming from peer relationships that compete with closeness to parents:
- Fuligni, A. J., Eccles, J. S., Barber, B. L., & Clements, P. (2001). Early adolescent peer orientation and adjustment during high school. Developmental Psychology, 37(1), 28- 36. doi:10.1037/0012-16188.8.131.52
- Ranson, K.E. & Urichuk, L.J. (2008) The effect of parent–child attachment relationships on child biopsychosocial outcomes: a review, Early Child Development and Care, 178:2, 129-152, doi:10.1080/03004430600685282
- Parker, J. G., Rubin, K. H., Erath, S.A., Wojslawowicz, J. C., & Buskirk, A. A. (2006). Peer relationships, child development, and adjustment: A developmental psychopathology perspective. In D. Cicchetti & D. J. Cohen (Eds.), Developmental psychopathology: Theory and method (p. 419–493). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Allen, J. P., Porter, M. R., & McFarland, F. C. (2006). Leaders and followers in adolescent close friendships: susceptibility to peer influence as a predictor of risky behavior, friendship instability, and depression. Development and psychopathology, 18(1), 155–172.
- Rutter, M. & Smith, D. J. (1995). Psychosocial disorders in young people: Time trends and their causes. New York, NY: Wiley. (Scholars in 16 countries studied youth and confirmed that a children’s culture had been developing since shortly after the Second World War, and coincident with that, the rates of violence, bullying, youth crime, and delinquency had also escalated significantly.)
Peer rejection – consequences
- Coie, J.D., & Gillessen, A.N. (1993). Peer rejection: Origins and effects on children’s development. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 2, p. 89-92.
East, P.L., Hess, L.E., & Lerner, R.M. (1987). Peer social support and adjustment of early adolescent peer groups. Journal of Early Adolescence, 7, p. 153-163.
Peer-orientation – siblings
Kantrowitz, B. and Wingert, P. (1999): The Truth About Tweens, Newsweek, October 18.